Friday, March 2, 2007

Breakfast for Dinner

When we were little, about once a month my father would go do his SAC duty which meant, as I understood it at the time, that he had to live on the air force base on the weekend. At nights, my mother would push a chair up under the knob of her door to make sure no burglers could get in. My brother and I would be . . . on the other side of that door. But the fact that my mom would use these weekends as an opportunity to make lazy dinners that I thought were great like boxed Mac 'n Cheese and frozen waffles and pancakes and scrambled eggs, more than makes up for that chair. The dinner above is just like that -- frozen buckwheat waffles with maple syrup (a food item I did not know whatfor during the SAC period) and scrambled tofu. The other thing that makes this the best? It's scrambled tofu made from leftovers of leftovers. Which I think is awesome. Tuesday night's quesadilla filling minus the soy cheese with some smashed sweet potato and spinach became the topper for some skillet socca.


This yarn isn't leftover, but it was the scraps from another ball of Cotton Glace that got me thinking about crochet again. And trying it.

I will be using leftover fabric to border and back it though, though I think.

And remember this sock? I mentioned it once -- my first failed attempt at completing a pair of socks. Definitely a leftover. I put it on and suddenly thought it might be worth finishing. Maybe that was the leftover wine talking.

Oh, and Mom. I remember that you let me watch Ten one SAC weekend.

No comments: