Wednesday, February 28, 2007

In which I claim never to get sick


But then do. I went on a bit of a book buying spree last week. First, I allowed myself into Forbidden Planet for the first time in a few years since I can do as much damage there as in any yarn shop. I felt compelled to buy three volumes of Hellboy and two of Preacher and other miscellany (although I emerged toy free). And then continued this mindless rampage at Barnes and Noble where I discussed colds with the cashier and proudly complained that I never get to use my sick time because I never get sick (although it had been eleven years for her to my three).

Fast forward to Sunday when I felt a little less than 100%. But I figured it was hot in my apartment and what was the big deal if I didn't feel much like eating? And coughing? It's so dry in apartments in winter so that's not completely abnormal. I wake up on Monday a little later than usual. Feel a little less than, but still go to work. That's when everything falls into place, of course. The coughing, the sneezing, the aching, the can barely stand up. By evening, with the train running later than usual, I feel completely awful. But I still go home and make this soup.
Because I'm sick. And I want soup. And Amy's Unchicken Noodle is not gluten free. And there's no one to make it for me. You know, whine ad nauseum.

And I was clearly delirious given that I took pictures. Of my food. Even with my temperature at 101. So I had my soup and some tea and a good long sleep and by morning I was right as rain (and a tad disappointed, mind you). There it was. My one true sick day and I had squandered it. I had actually been looking forward to lazing around on my futon sofa watching trashy talk TV and reading comic books (the only options as, by the end of day one, I really felt to weak to knit or crochet), but the moment had passed me by.


But even though I had no one to make me soup and was too delirious to call in sick, I did get to enjoy one good post-sick ritual. The first return to real food. Mushroom-pepper quesadillas and a spinach salad. Sivvie-cat gave it two nose licks.

2 comments:

Eppy said...

Which volumes of Preacher?

I enjoyed that one quite a bit back in the day, but it fell apart on me later in the series.

jill said...

I just got the first two. I needed to show some restraint, after all. An ex roommate had several of the issues, but it's been a while since I've read any. I guess this means I'm going to have to be careful when deciding to move into the next volumes.