Friday, February 2, 2007

Dreaming of Stockings

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Now that I've finished a good set of thigh high stockings I'm feeling emboldened. I've got it in my mind to knit every pair of socks and stockings in Folk Socks. I was lucky that a very special friend works in a small bookshop and gave it to me as a welcome home present for my post-holiday return. I've started with the Norwegian stockings (which I first fell in love with, I believe, on Eunny Jang's site), which are off to a lovely start, but am a little concerned that Cascade Fixation won't work for a lot of the socks, some of which are knit on 000's. So, here's hoping I find a yarn to work for the more delicate pieces in book. Otherwise, I'll have to completely rework them.

Speaking of Eunny Jang, I finally picked up the Winter 2006 issue of Interweave Knits. Her Venezia Pullover and VĂ©ronik Avery's Enid Cardigan were my favorite of the bunch. And, of course, they both involve steeking. I'm a little concerned about steeking with vegan fibers. Even Interweave's article on steeking says that fibers with animal protein tend to felt slightly as they're being knitted, which makes them even less prone to unravel. So what happens with protein-free fibers? I don't know if I even want to sacrifice a swatch for this.

Lastly, the Seaport Yarn website says they carry Mission Falls yarn, so hopefully they'll have what I need to finish the second legwarmer, and I'll be able to save The Point for another, more pleasant weekend. With the weather potentially turning nasty for the commute home, I'd rather go home and curl up instead.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: